Baby teeth may not be permanent, but they’re the only teeth your child is going to have until their adult teeth start coming in. That’s why at Just for Kids Dentistry in Las Vegas we encourage parents to bring their youngsters in for regular checkps, and to make sure they brush every day at home.
Tooth decay happens when a tooth’s enamel breaks down – that is, gets a hole in it. The main cause of cavities is bacteria, and when foods with sugars and starches are left on the teeth for too long. The bacteria converts them into acids, and when it’s all combined with food and saliva turns into plaque, which sticks to teeth and begins to destroy enamel.
Sometimes cavities don’t cause symptoms. But a child with a cavity may feel:
- Pain in the affected tooth
- Food sensitivity, like in sweets, or in hot and cold
If we find a cavity in a tooth, the usual treatment is to drill out the affected area and repair it with a filling.
To minimize the chances of your child getting tooth decay, follow these steps:
- Brush your child’s teeth as soon as they start coming in.
- Be sure to get the tongue and gums.
- Encourage good dental hygiene as your child gets older.
- Bring your child into our office for regular cleanings and checkups.
At Just For Kids Dentistry in Las Vegas, we want all our young patients to have healthy teeth and gums and wonderful smiles. We offer pediatric dentistry. Call our office to schedule your little one’s next checkup today!