Early Dental Care
Kids are usually a lot tougher than we give them credit for being. But that doesn’t hold true when comes to teeth. That’s why we like to see our young patients for a cleaning and checkup twice a year at Just For Kids Dentistry in Las Vegas.
The plain truth is that the enamel on young teeth is not nearly as strong as it is in adult teeth. In fact, it’s about fifty percent thinner. When tooth decay begins, it does more damage, and faster, than it does to grownup teeth.
With that in mind, there are things that every parent should remember when it comes to their youngster and dental health.
- Kids should brush their teeth twice a day. Start them young, and you should be launching them on a lifelong good habit.
- Make sure your child has good brushing technique.
- Always use fluoridated toothpaste. Most toothpaste contains fluoride, but not all of it, so always read the label before you buy. Fluoride helps to prevent cavities by remineralizing teeth.
- Children should be flossing their teeth, too.
- Minimize sugary snacks.
- Bring your child in for a cleaning and checkup twice a year!
A few generations ago, most people grew up and eventually lost their teeth. That’s just the way it was, but fortunately that is no longer the case. With good dental hygiene at home and regular checkups, teeth can, and should, last a lifetime.